New Barking Dog and Dog Leash Ordinance
At the August 12, 2014 Board of Trustees meeting, the board passed a new Barking Dog and Dog Leash Ordinance. The ordinance will become effective September 16, 2014. The ordinance is summarized below. Click here to view the Ordinance in its entirety.
- A dog which frequently or habitually barks, yips, yelps or howls loud enough to cause annoyance to or materially disturb the peace, quiet and general tranquility of the surrounding area is declared to be a nuisance.
- All dogs within Northfield Township brought or kept outdoors shall be restrained by leashes, by electronic tethers, or by other acceptable means on the property in which the animal is being kept. The exception being working dogs such as service dogs, farm dogs, hunting dogs, and other such dogs, when accompanied by their owner or authorized agent, and while actively engaged in the activities for which the dogs are trained.
- Owners or responsible parties to the dog are to immediately remove any feces deposited by the dog on any property not owned by the dog's owner or authorized agent.
- If the owner or keeper of the dog cannot be located, the dog may be impounded to return peace to the neighborhood.
- Violations to this ordinance are considered a Municipal Civil Infraction, and will be held to the following penalties:
- First violation: Warning
- Second violation: $50.00 fine
- Third repeat offense*: $100.00 fine
- Fourth or subsequent repeat offense*: $150.00 fine
* "Repeat offense" is defined as another violation of the Code and/or ordinance within a two-year period as determined from the dates of the violation(s).
If you have any questions regarding this ordinance, please feel free to contact the Township Office at 734-449-2880.