HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Tuesday: 7:30am - 9:00pm
Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm
The office is closed on most holidays.
*Hours may vary occasionally without notice.*
The main responsibilities of the Records Section are data entry, generating statistical reports, processing paperwork for gun permits, and providing copies of paperwork to the general public. The records section is staffed with two part-time civilian clerks.
Incident Reports are retrieved and made available to the public through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by completing a FOIA Request Form. Once a FOIA Request has been received, a records staff member will notify you of the charges for completing your request. FOIA Requests may take up to five business days for completion.
To File a Report Online: Please read the information below and then click here.
The following reports can be filed online. All other non-emergency reports can be made by contacting Central Dispatch at (734)994-2911.
- Harassing phone calls/No known suspects
- Theft/No known suspects (not home/business entered illegally)
- Vandalism/No known suspects
- Private property traffic crash
- Lost/Damaged property
In some cases, these reports will not be investigated. The report simply documents that you reported an incident to the Northfield Township Police Department. Once the report is reviewed and approved, you will be provided an incident report number. Please make sure that you have all information needed at the time that you make your report. For example, for a private property traffic crash report, you will need your vehicle registration and proof of insurance.
What should I include in the report?
Please provide thorough and accurate information. The details should include:
- The timeframes in which the incident occurred.
- How you became aware of the incident.
- A description of what happened.
- Location of the incident. It is important that you confirm the incident actually occurred within the township of Northfield.
- If you are reporting a traffic crash and you are not sure of the exact location, locate a business or residence nearest to that location and use that address.
- Any vehicle, insurance, or account information that is needed depending on the type incident report.
Once you have submitted your information:
- You will be given a temporary reference number. You will not be able to obtain a copy of your report using the temporary reference number.
- Your report will be reviewed within three to five business days. Once it is approved, you will receive an email with your incident number and instructions on how you can obtain a copy of your report.
Obtain a traffic crash report
To obtain by mail, send a $5 check or money order, made payable to the Northfield Township Police Department, along with your crash report request, including the case report number to: Northfield Township Police Department, 8350 Main Street, Whitmore Lake, MI 48189. To obtain in person, visit NTPD during business hours listed above.
Local Records Check
A local criminal background check may be requested for local or international purposes. You must request this record in person and bring a valid photo ID with you. There is no charge for Northfield Township residents for this service.
Michigan State Police Criminal History Records
Anyone can search the official MSP criminal history record database. The criminal history record database is updated daily with "felony and misdemeanor arrest," "charge and conviction" information as provided by law enforcement, prosecuting attorneys and courts throughout the State of Michigan. This search includes all public Michigan criminal history information as allowed by Public Act 310 of 2005. This search does not include federal arrests or criminal records from other states. A search for criminal record information that might be in another state requires you to correspond directly with the criminal record repository of that state. Click here to go to the Michigan State Police Criminal History Records.
Fee Schedule for Records Services
|Crash Reports||See vendor pricing.||
Copies of crash reports can be obtained by anyone. You can purchase online with a credit card through CLEMIS e-Crash.
|Case Reports||$5.00- First page, plus $2.00- each additional page
||Need identification to obtain report.|
$10.00 per person,
For Northfield residents with identification. Must bring your own
|Handgun Purchase Permits||No Charge||Apply during office hours listed above. Northfield residents only with valid identification. Permits are valid for 30 days. Keep in mind that a purchase permit is no longer required if purchasing from a FFL.
|Clearance Letter||No Charge||Northfield residents only with identification. Must obtain in person during office hours listed above. This is a local clearance only.|