Image result for clip art of hand gun
Buying a handgun?  Make sure you're doing it legally.

If you have a Concealed Pistol License, you can download a Pistol Sales Record here.  Complete all copies together with the seller and turn the "MSP" copy in to your local police department within 10 calendar days of the transaction date/date of sale.  If you live in Northfield Township, you can drop them off in person or mail them to our general mailing address, ATTN: Records.

If you DON'T have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) and are purchasing a gun from a non-FFL (federally licensed firearms dealer), you must first come in to the Northfield Township Police Department and apply for a License to Purchase a Pistol.  (See our Records Section for hours.)  You must present a valid Michigan photo ID, complete some brief paperwork and pass a background check.  If you are approved, your permit will be valid for 30 calendar days.  Once you have made your purchase, the MSP copy must be turned in to your local police department within 10 calendar days.

If you DON'T have a CPL and are purchasing from a FFL, you may now go directly to the FFL to purchase the handgun.  There is no longer a need to acquire a License to Purchase is buying from a FFL.  They will complete a Pistol Sales Record for you, which you must submit to your local police department within 10 calendar days of the date of sale.

Please call us at 734-449-9911 if you have any questions about the procedure for purchasing handguns.